Friday, September 10, 2010

CouCou!

Hello Y´all!

Its me again! I know I havent posted in a while but I´ve been quite tired at the evenings, going to bed before 11 :o  I know its so NOT me, at home I usually go to bed the erliest at midnight.  I think its all this french talking (not me, but around me) that makes me tired. I have to concentrate a lot to try to understand them *yawn*. I know im the one saying to ppl to think positive but I feel at the moment as I will never learn french... I understand quite a bit, but the talking hmm. well we will see im sure it will go well.

So what have I been up to since the last post? Well I have met all the students im going to teach and let me tell you one thing, I dont understand the french school system at all.. lol.. or it might be just this school´s.  I have 3 different classes every day  except for fridays when I have 2 and they are all one hour. Which means I have 14 different groups, all from 12 year olds (who has their first year of english) to 15 year olds who had 3 years of english (but that doesnt mean that their level is good). This week I have mostly introduced myself to the kids and helped the teacher. Its a bit difficult now in the begining as they seem shy (or they just dont know) how to speak in English so the teachers has done alot of things in french. Apperantly in france they write alot but dont do so much oral activities with the kids and thats why im here, to help them to start talking english. The young ones are sooooo cute.

As I might have told you before im working with 3 different teachers, Nacira that I told you about. She is so funny she asks me questions about the language everytime she has a lesson, like I need to correct her.. lol..
Then I also work with Aurélie C who is nice but we havent talked so much, the good thing is that she gives me all the material the kids are working with so I can follow up. And then with Aurélie D who is actually my age. She is cool and we have been talking alot, she is very nice and told me to call her anytime I feel bored.  She seems to enjoy having me in her classroom and has given me things to do in her lessons which has made it more fun for me. I havent talked so much with the other teachers as I dont speak french, just say hello when we are in the staff room, but I do have been talking with the German teacher and Spanish teacher, both wants to learn and improve their english so they have come up to me to start talking in English. They are very nice. Oh I also met the head principal of the school, M. Mege. It was so funny as Nacira had told me last weekend how you must call almost everyone by their last name well at least to M. Mege, you must be formal  as another assistant last year had said Salut to him instead of Bonjour: For you who know French you only say Salut to a close friend. Well all the teachers had been very shocked when the assistant said that so when I met him I was very scared that I would screw up. LOL but he was so nice, he doesnt speak English but when he came to say hello I was like Bonjour M. Mege and he said: Bienvenue non.. Welcome.. and laughed. He seems nice.

Oh Isabelle told me erlier this week about a website called Happy People 26 which is a group that meets every wednesday at a bar in town to have a language exchange meeting. You sit there and meet ppl from around the world and also French ppl who wants to improve their English or another language and talk and hang out. I went there this wednesday and met some very nice ppl, 3 french girls who wants to improve their english, one of them brought her Irish boyfriend who wants to improve his french and then a chinese girl who is like me doesnt know french yet. We had a great time sat there, got to know eachother and talked in both English and French, we were in total 20 ppl there, further down the table they were talking portuguese and german..lol.. Here are some pics from that evening:

I had a nice evening but was so tired the morning after as I had been out to 23.30 and had to get up 6.30 the next morning. I will try to go to all meetings and sometimes they also do other things like Karaoke nights.

I must admit something, today I felt a bit home sick. I dreamt something, cant remember what but I felt very homesick and sad this morning. I dont understand but when im home I do almost nothing, Im at home in my room watching Tv or in the computer and sometimes go out to meet friends and go to the cinema but not that often. But here I feel bored, which is really strange. I guess its because I know that I dont have my family or friends that I can call up and meet when I feel lonley. Isabelle who I live with I dont see so much as she works until 5 then she comes home for half an hour then is off to the gym (as she has lived alone for 4 years she doesnt like being in the appartment). So I see her for dinner some days and thats it. So I decided that next week I will go to Salsa class with her (she dances salsa every tuesday) and sign up to have something to do. As I only work 3 hours a day I have most of the day free.  This weekend (as im alone, shes away all the weekends) I decided to take her bike and cycle around town and maybe go to the other side of the river (will take my cam with me). And just take a longer walk around town to discover more places, like where the cinema is..  :p.

Oh today after work I went to town to get some things I need from Sephora and some other shops and took some pics:

The backside of the cathedral:

The old part of town where smaller shops are

This house is known as the hours of many heads, dont know if you can see well in the pic but the walls are full of heads


Well I think I will stop writing now as Im going to watch a movie. Im sitting at the comfortable sofa (oh the sofa is much cooler than I thought) its not only (diva) red but it has a magic button that makes you sit so comfortable and you can even lie down. Took a pic of it so you get the picture ;)



Hope you all have a good weekend!


Ps. Going to steal my friend Gill´s idea and have a song of the day. So today its: Désolé that I heard the other day and its stuck in my head since then.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Angie! :D
    Wow, so much to read! It sounds as if everyone needs you lol, to help their English! I'm loving the sound of your group though, that'a such a fab idea! I'm sure you're going to make lots of lasting friendships on this trip! :D
    Awww hugs for your homesickness - it's understandable. Foreign country, strangers surrounding you - like you say, it's not like you're living in your family's pockets when you're home, but you know they are close by and that's the difference. Big hugs - even though I know you're going to be ok! ;-)
    The town looks gorgeous, wish I could hop on a plane and come over for the weekend!
    Kram xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know hehe.. I should post more often instead hehe.

    Thanks I needed that hug today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs from me as well - I know exactly what you mean by the sad/homesick feeling - I was the same when I was travelling but it sounds like you are doing all the right things and time always makes things better.

    The town looks gorgeous - I'm with Gill - I want to pop on over - although it would take me a little longer. :P

    Looking forward to hearing about your next adveture - take care hun and kram :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie

    That group of international people meeting in the bar, sounds great fun and a good way for all to improve language skills.

    But is is quite understandable, that you are feeling a bit homesick, BIG HUG! You have a lot of things to adjust to, a new country, language, work and so, and do not have your family and friends close by (wish I could jump on a plane as well and visit you, your town looks really nice and I am very bored here, but no news there)

    Take care now, I know you will be OK, and remember we are still here for you :-)

    Many hugs Bekka

    ReplyDelete
  5. The homesickness and the tiredness will pass. I know I was really tired from having to focus so much as well. It drains you. BUT(T) you will pick up the language so much quicker and you will soon be home again so enjoy the experience and if you happen to come across anything Manu related... remember your friend Sandra who adores Manu but who happens to be stuck in Sweden ;-)

    Big, big hugs from Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hej stora tjejen. Det brukar vara lite kämpigt med allt nytt man åtar sig men jag vet att du fixar franskan och allt. Va kul saker dy har gjort du får lära mej lite salsa sen. kram jag tror jag ringer dej nu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hej fina du! Vill bara skicka en kram från mig & Marley. Inte konstigt att det känns så i början, men snart kommer du känna dig "hemma" i nya staden och franskan blir bättre för varje dag som går :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww vet hur det är med hemlängtan... Men sen kommer du säkert att sakna Frankrike när du är hemma i Sverige ;)
    Du får spamma mig på fejan när du känner dig ensam om du vill, eller ringa eller vad som helst!
    Det kommer att gå bra för dig, det vet jag,
    man har lite dippar ibland, men det är normalt.
    Stooora kramar/ Corny

    ReplyDelete