Sunday, September 5, 2010

Je suis arrivé

Hi everyone!

Been here 3 days now and I must say that Im really enjoying myself. Let´s start from the begining.

I left a cold, windy, rainy Stockholm on Friday morning. Me and my mum met up my dad at the central station to have a coffee and for me to say goodbye to him. Then me and my mum took the arlanda express to the airport, where I checked in my bag (19,4 kg.. woho).. and we said goodbye as I wanted to go in to shop a bit in the tax free shop. I decided to buy some swedish sweets to give to the english teacher that had invited me to her house on the saturday and guess what I do... I leave my card in the shop :o While I was on my way to buy some magazines I hear on the speakers : Miss Angelina Quintanilla, please contact the taxfree shop. Great start aint it?.. hehe..
Then I bought these playing cards that has frases in swedish and french and I was going to go to the Starbucks that they have opened at the airport but the queue was long and I had to board the plane.

The flight to Copenhagen went fast, just 1 h and I slept 45 mins of it, hehe. Then I had 40 mins to go to the other gate, but I was getting hungry by this time and had to go to one of the food places to buy a sandwich. The person who worked there was sooo slow, that I was almost the last one boarding the plane, but I dont care I HAD to have my sandwich and mmmmm it was so good. Then the flight from Copenhagen to Lyon went fast too, just 1h 55mins.. and again and slept through most of it... Well not really slept, but rested (eyes closed while I listened to music).  I got a bit nervous when I was going to pick up my bag as Mai told me a few days erlier that her bag had been lost and she got it 2 days after arriving in France.. But I got it yey and now I had to go out to meet Mrs Bouret who I had no idea how she looked like. I saw a blond short (like me) woman standing waiting for someone but I wasnt sure it was her, but after we stared at eachother a bit she asked if I was Angelina and then we were on our way.

We talked throughout the whole 45 min car ride to Valence, she is really nice. Told me about the school, herself (she used to be an english teacher before she became a principal). Then we arrived to the big school and enormous flat she has in the school. All the 3 principals lives in the school, the two assistant principals and the main one who I havent met yet. Isabelle lives in a flat alone with 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1 toilet and washing room, 1 small kitchen, a huge living room and a huge dining room. The fav room must be the living room, I like the decoration and its RED :) Here is a pic of it:
(Yeah the wine glas chest is an english phone booth, isnt it cool?, and she has a hand as a chair).

My room, has a big bed, a desk and 2 big closets (It feels like I didnt bring any clothes at all as I have so big closets that I only use half of it or even less).. This means I have to SHOP to fill it :P.
But the best part om my room is the view I have:

(isnt the view great? to the left of the pic is the start of the big park that is beside the school).

Ok second day...

I met the other assistant principal (of the older kids) Philippe and his family at 10 in the morning. I will actually have his older daughter as a student. They took me to the weekly market that is there every saturday and they sell everything, fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, olives and of course CHEESE! They showed me their fav sellers and I bought some things to have at home. We walked around the older side of town and they took me to the main library. Afterwards we walked throught the more modern shopping street and I saw many shops I will visit during next week. They invited me to eat lunch with them which I of course accepted but first I needed to find a supermarket to buy food and other things, I didnt want to eat up Isabelle´s food. I found swedish crisp bread or SKORPOR as well call them, of course I bought them..  The lunch they made was huge, First sallad and then some cheese ravioli. Then some bread with cheese and olives and melon. And then home-made yogurt for dessert.  I was so full by this time that I decided to go home to rest a bit before Nacira (the english teacher) was picking me up at 3.30.

Nacira sure is a character, she is soo friendly and talkative haha.. She took me to her village which was 20 mins away, first we went to her place and she showed me what we will do with the first class. Then she took me to her mum´s were her kids were.. They are sooo cute, she has a son who is almost 4 and a daughter who is almost 3. Her mother only speaks french and arabic (they are from algeria) but I understood her as she didnt speak fast french as some do. As they are fasting because of ramadaan we were going to eat when the sun goes down (8.15).  Her mother cooked so much, many different vegetarian dishes just becuase I dont eat meat. While her mother cooked we went to visit a friend of Nacira´s. Chantal who also is an english teacher but in another school. She was also very friendly. At 8.15 we ate until we couldnt talk more, and her mother wanted me to eat more.. LOL.. She made me a doggybag with delicious arabic pastries what she is making for the end of ramadaan. I was home around 9.30 and I was so full and tired.

Today I decided to sleep in and man I needed it, afterwards I took an 2 hour walk around town. Almost everything was closed as its sunday. But I went to the park to take some pics for you.





(the square infront of the school)


The school which is over 100 years old.


Well this is it for today. I think I have to start planning what Im going to eat for dinner tonight. Will post again after a few days of school if I survive the first days. lol..

Bisous à tous

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Angie, I felt I was right there with you. Glad to know, you have made such a good start and the people, you will be working with, are so nice. Thanks for pics, the park looks beautiful!
    Good luck on your first day at school meeting your students.
    Take care! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie :) I agree with Bekka, I felt like I was there with you too! What a beautiful place, the market & shops sound great, and the people seem so warm and welcoming - I'm sure you're going to have a brilliant time!
    Good luck for your first day - enjoy!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the piccies and I'm glad to hear that you've met kind people. I'm so excited, it feels like I'm there with you. Good luck and take care. Big hugs from Snuttan MWAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome report! LOL forgetting your credit card?
    Reminds me of something... :p Glad you got it back tho!
    The place looks GORGEOUS! And nice to know you are surrounded by good people, that makes a lot of difference. Good luck with the kiddies, I'm sure you'll do fine!
    HUUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jättefina bilder du kommer att ha det underbart kram kram mom

    ReplyDelete